Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Kick Drum Placement

  1. #11
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great points! I've use the V-drums for practice and have set them up so they are real comfortable. However when I looked at my feet/pedal placement it did create a natural "V" around the snare drum (similar to Kurt's note). Then when I looked at the toms, the second of the two rack toms was roughly straight above the kick pedal. So, now I've shifted the toms over on my acoustic kit so that the second tom is more over the center of kick (similar to Lang's and actually along the lines of Weckl's set-up, but with the toms about equal in height). The pedals are still with the V shape and it is much more comfortable than before. And, now the ride is moved slightly to the left and in a more comfortable position as well.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member moosetication's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Getting this right is proving remarkably tricky. What I wanted to do with my 7-piece (8/10/12/14/16) was set up the kick pedals and snare, place the kick based on that, then arrange the toms. And the last part of that is proving a real pain. It's all very well on paper, but in 3D it's not so easy. Either my 8" tom fouls the hats, or the 12" tom (which is over the centre of the kick) won't hang at the correct angle (it's a "universal" depth).

    Gah. This will not defeat me. I will not be beaten by some glorified mahogany tubes and scraps of mylar. [img]mad.gif[/img]

  3. #13
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL.

    I think we ALL have been through this one at 1 time or another. [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

    Welcome to [-just one of the many aspects of-] "Drummer's H*ll"... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, it seems to work for Dennis.

    Remember that Dennis is shorter
    and he likes his drums very close
    together.

    Setup is a real personal thing. I
    think anything other than mine is
    crazy but I suspect you do too.

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

    For balance, you need more set-up
    to your left, including toms and
    cymbals etc.

    In the old days, I used to think
    that having my HH further from my
    snare was crazy. Now that I play
    open, I don't feel that way.

    It's going to differ from player
    to player.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  5. #15
    Inactive Member moosetication's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hah! I win...

    kit

    My busted-ass camera's flash seems to have decided that synchronisation is entirely optional, but you get the drift...

  6. #16
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great topic. Nice pics of Dennis's kit and of yours also, moos!

    I've spent quite a bit of time experimenting with this very issue (for a couple of years now!), and have learned quite a bit. Seeing Virgil in clinic (2001) inspired me to revisit the positioning of the pedals and throne. I haven't gotten it perfect, but I'm more comfortable now than I've ever been.

    I think the pic of Dennis's kit is deceiving....I can't believe that's where the seat is when he plays.

    To get a feel for how far the throne is from the pedals, notice the throne is "even with" a point between his second and third floor tom. I've got 14" and 16" floor toms (a' la Weckl/Smith/Vinnie) and I'm over 6'-2" tall. If I put my throne that far back, there would be no way I could reach the pedals at all, much less play them comfortably.

    Dennis is certainly a better player than I, but I know I'm taller! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Cesar Stefanelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2004
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John Otto,from Limp Bizkit,puts his bass drum to an angle!its to his right and his tom are set up front of him with stands. Its more confortable to play "angled" then straight.

    Cesar

  8. #18
    Inactive Member palmerlouie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2002
    Posts
    785
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    moosetication....nice pic! thats it man!

  9. #19
    Inactive Member moosetication's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks. Feels great. Some tweaking left for sure, but lots of goodness. Putting the 12" right over the centre of the kick opens up a space and lets me bring the ride around to a much more comfortable position too. The 8" is an inch or so more of a reach than I'd like, but it's still comfortable.

    But man, do I need a two-leg hat stand. And look at that yawning chasm on the left of the hats. Wait ... sniff ... what's that I smell ... sniff ... a 13" rack tom, you say? And ... sniff ... some bongos perchance? My word...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 27, 2004 06:24 AM: Message edited by: moosetication ]</font>

  10. #20
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [Yawning chasm"]...LH FT; piccolo sn...or timbales, rotos, bongos "Neil/Terry/Dave" [more like Horacio]... ;c)

    I'm betting Den's throne is pulled back away after getting up, & not in it's "seated" position in relation to his playing the kit.

    Nice set, moose. & dig those dampening/muffling pads [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] ...how are they for ya?

    ...live in an apt., or cranky, unhip neighbors, perchance? ;c)

    ..."to sleep; perchance to dream"...but not if moose removes his mufflers...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 27, 2004 11:56 AM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •